111. The Enigma, without cipher wheels is "Secret Material". The
cipher wheels, and the Enigma with the cipher wheels set in, are
"Secret Command Material." (These expressions are, respectively,
"Geheimsache" and "Geheime Kommandosache" -- corresponding,
respectively, to the British Secret and Most Secret. - Tr.)
112. Opening up the Enigma, setting in the Inner Setting, and
changing the cipher wheels is to be done by officer only.
Only in the use of Enigma General Procedure, if there is no
officer present or detailed, a reliable Non-Commissioned officer
can be given the authority, in writing, to do these things as
a "specially delegated person" according to the Regulations Re-
garding Secret Material (Verschlusssachenvorschrift).
113. For changing the cipher wheels (wheel order), the cover of the
Enigma is to be opened all the way. The holding lever (Haltehebel)
which is to the left of the wheels is to be moved forward. The
"Umkehrwalze" is to be pushed to the left end the wheels are to be
pressed together. The wheel axle is to be lifted out with the wheels.
114. In putting the wheels in, take care to have them in the order
called for. The axle collar is to the left, the contact points of
the wheels point to the right.
115. For setting the letter rings (Ringstellung), the spring catch
(Haltefederknopf) on the cipher wheels is to be raised and the red
mark on the spring peg to be put next to the letter called for by
In the case of Enigmas with check-numbers from M 1822 on up,
inclusive, the groove-lever (Rasthebel) next to the letter ring is
to be pressed in and the body of the wheel turned. The two white
dots on the surface of the contact side of the wheel are to be put
next to the letter called for by the Ringstellung.
116. The Enigma is to be locked after every time it is opened and
the key to the Enigma and to the wheel-box is to be kept by an officer.
117. Connect the Enigma with the source of current indicated on the
plate fastened to tne cover.
118. To check the lights, take out all plug (Stecker) connections.
press the Q-key, then the W-key; let the Q-key go, press the E-key; let
the W-key go, and so on. Each time, a light should go on.
If a light does not go on, put in a new bulb. Get the bulbs
from D V (Druckschriftenverwaltung - Registered Publications Office).